I am finally back!!!
We have been SUPER busy this summer but I finally managed to show some of what I have been working on. I found this button down shirt at Goodwill and loved it but, I did not need another long sleeve button down. So...I cut it up! The shirt is New York and Company and looked brand new! I am not sure it had ever been worn, it looked that good.
It is a beautiful ivory with thin gold metallic pin stripes in it.
Once I had the sleeve off, I split them open. I decided to change the sleeves into a tulip sleeve. I made a pattern for the sleeve (please ignore my random lines on the pattern) with 1/2" allowance to hem the sleeves.
I then flipped the pattern over to get the other side of the sleeve.
Here are the 2 sleeves sewn together with the hem sewn in.
I attached the sleeve back in and finished out the arm holes.
With the rest of the sleeve fabric I cut 1 1/2" wide strips. I then sewed those together, folded them in half and pressed. I also finished out both ends.
I then folded and pleated the fabric and stitched the pleats in place. The left side has been sewn down the right side is still pinned in. Halfway through I turned my pleats in the opposite direction so the would be going the same direction on both sides.
Once I sewed the new neckline trim in (pointing down), I trimmed out the excess seam allowance, turns out I didn't need it
I then finished out the seams with lace seam binding and turned the ruffle up and top stitched it to keep it down.
Here is what it looks like. I think it turned out pretty darn cute. I can't wait to wear it under my red blazer. I am only sorry I didn't get a side pic of the sleeve.